Thursday, February 18, 2010

Silent Eloquence

We began our course in November 2009. Having scanned the internet for information on SIGN LANGUAGE and its multiple benefits, I was amazed at what I unearthed. I found out that people with challenges other than deafness could also benefit from signing. I contacted Prasanna School for the Autistic and was pleased with the response. 4 of their teachers signed up for our course and are happy with the learning experience.
We have over 15 deaf students who're trying to improve their English Language skills using the same ISL course. As we, the hearing, learn to sign, they try and correct their spellings and grammar. We also involve them in our ISL sessions by allowing them to demonstrate to us how to sign with the right expressions and ISL grammar. This serves as an interactive and confidence building exercise. We have over 15 hearing students including school going children who are regular and enthusiastic participants in the course. There have been many inquiries about organising more such introductory courses in and around Pune and we're are thrilled with the resposnse we've recieved.

Thank you, Aqil and Atiya for designing the course and conducting it for EKansh as freelancers. Thank you, Pune!

1 comment:

Sayali said...

Hi! I was fascinated by your jottings in Silent Eloquence. I m a professor in a business institute and keenly interested in all areas of communication. Lately I am intrigued by the sign language and the world of hearing impaired people. Was wondering if I could get to sign up for some such courses where they would teach sign language. I am on my own trip of giving something back to the world. Thx and God Bless!Sayali