Thursday, February 18, 2010

Human Rights and Accessibility Lectures

Ayodhya Charitable Trust, an NGO for the deaf in Pune, invited us for a lecture on Human Rights and Accessibility on 18th January. Atiya who, with Aqil, had done a thorough introduction to ISL and Deaf Culture for them had insisted that we accept the invitation though I was a bit skeptical about what we could say to experienced teachers of the deaf from in and around PuneMrs. Sheth and I discussed how to go about 'lecturing' 20 teachers from in and around Pune on these topics without sounding presumptuous. I was prepared with my powerpoint programme and fancy jargon but unsure that we were authorities on the topics.

Mrs. Sheth then suggested 'group discussions' and it worked wonderfully. We gave the participants a list of points to discuss and 4 groups of 5 participants each got talking animatedly and making notes. We finally had one representative of each sub-group come up and voice their views. The energy was amazing. I ended the session by highlighting the points raised by the participants and the different ways in which the problems they encounter as teachers of the deaf can be solved with a little more assertion and commitment.

Today I was invited to repeat the lecture...and though Mrs. Sheth was not with me, Ramona came. I found that though I missed Mrs. Sheth, today, I was more confident and better equipped to address the new batch of 20 teachers. We had the group discussion. We got 5 new points from each group to dwell on and discuss. I will put up the points in my next blog for all to read and ponder. I ended with the quote
"if we're not part of the solution, we're part of the problem" and requested them to assert their rights as teachers and put down on paper all the problems they faced and the solutions at the end of the 3 day workshop held by Ayodhya and send copies to the authorities that are so that this doesn't stop as a discussion in a classroom somewhere in Pune but takes the shape of a mass movement begun for mainstreaming of the deaf led by teachers of the deaf.

The teachers were a happy, interactive, intelligent group and I've been informed that we'll be invited again for lectures! Cheers to that!

No comments: